This traditional Japanese food is most commonly referred to as one of the most popular Japanese comfort foods. It is one that everyone should experience at least once in his or her lifetime. The combination of juicy meat, caramelized onions and fluffy eggs feels like a warm embrace. This recipe is quick and easy, perfect for those who want something protein rich and delicious. Dig in and enjoy!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 5 people
1 large onion sliced into small slivers
2 green onions chopped into small circles
3/4 lb or 12 oz of thinly sliced beef (flank steak works the best)
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp white or brown sugar
3 tbsp Sake
2 tbsp Mirin (Japanese cold noodle sauce but also works if you don’t have it)
1 tbsp Soy sauce
3 large eggs (beaten)
3 cups cooked Japanese rice (or any rice)
Optional: Pickled red ginger for garnish
Optional: Enjoy the option of having a poached egg on top
- Cut the onion into thin slices.
- Chop the green onion into small circles.
- Cut meat into thin slices.
- Heat oil in your Aroma Grillet at 300º F.
- Cook the onions until golden and tender (approximately 3 minutes).
- Add meat, sugar, Sake, Mirin and Soy sauce.
- Reduce heat to 200º F and place lid on Aroma Grillet. Simmer for around 2 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
- Evenly pour the beaten eggs over the beef and then cook until the eggs are done (approximately 2 minutes).
- Place the beef and egg on top of steamed rice. You may also poach an egg and place it on top of the rice as well for an added yolky texture. Add green onion as a garnish.
- Optional: Top with pickled red ginger.
Over to You
What’s your version of comfort food? Share and inspire us!