This simple and easy dish is great for lunch and dinner alike. The tomato adds a delicious tangy flavor to the rice while the spices add a medley of herby, earthy notes. This dish is not too salty or tasteless. If you choose to add a runny egg yolk, it gives the rice a silky finish.
2 cups White Rice, Washed
1 large ripe tomato
1 cup of Water
1 cup of Chicken Stock
In total, your liquid level should reach the three-cup mark inside the rice cooker. (Rice cooker liquid measurements are different than generic measuring cup measurements so please follow the rice cooker indication line.)
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp sage
1 tsp rosemary
7 basil leaves
1 tsp olive oil
Optional add-ons prior to cooking: Marinated chicken breast, or Tofu
Optional add-ons after cooking: Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese, a sunny side up, poached or easy over egg, or chashu
1) Wash rice and add in 1 cup of water and 1 cup of Chicken Stock. The liquid level should reach the three-cup mark inside the rice cooker. (Rice cooker liquid measurements are different from that of a generic measuring cup measurements so please follow the rice cooker indication line.)
2) Cut the stem part of the tomato off and place the tomato in the middle of the pot.
3) Add your pepper, salt, thyme, oregano, rosemary and sage.
4) Add your olive oil.
5) Optional, add marinated chicken breast or Tofu on top of the rice.
6) Place rice cooker pot into the rice cooker and press the white rice button.
7) When the rice is done cooking, break open the tomato and incorporate it into the rice.
8) You can top the tomato rice with shredded cheese, sunny side up, poached or easy over egg, or chashu.
Over to You
What’s your version of tomato rice? Share and inspire us!