Mac and Cheese always brings me back to my childhood. This twist on the original mac and cheese is a perfect addition to any Thanksgiving potluck. The earthy sweet pumpkin puree accents the salty macaroni to create a savory sweet combination. Pumpkin is non-fat, low on calories and contains copious amounts of fiber as an added bonus.
1 (12 oz) box of shell macaroni (elbow macaroni works as well)
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup Flour
4 tsp salt (2 for boiling macaroni, 2 for mixture)
1 tsp fresh ground Pepper
2 tsp dry or wet mustard
dash of nutmeg
1 tsp pumpkin spice
2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree (Unsweetened)
3 cups shredded or chopped cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese
About 30 min prep time and about 10 min bake time
1) Preheat the oven to 400º F
2) Bring a pot of water to a boil and add salt. Boil your macaroni until al dente and rise with cold water before setting it aside.
3) Place your DoveWare Dutch Oven onto the stove top. Over medium heat, melt the butter and slowly start to whisk in the flour. You want to whisk your sauce for around 3 minutes or until smooth.
4) Slowly pour in 1 cut of milk while you are still whisking. Keep whisking until all of the milk is smoothly incorporated into the butter-flour mixture.
5) Add the salt, pepper, dry mustard and nutmeg. Depending on your taste preference, you may add more or less salt and pepper.
6) Keep your mixture on medium heat until the sauce thickens slightly.
7) Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of pumpkin puree.
8) After the pumpkin is incorporated, stir in your 3 cups of cheese. (If you want a low fat option, you can also add 2 cups of cheese).
9) Stir until everything is well incorporated and melted.
10) Add the noodles to the cheese sauce in the Doveware and gently mix, adding more pepper as you see needed.
11) Sprinkle the top of the Macaroni with Breadcrumbs and additional cheese.
12) Bake for 5-10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
13) Best to be enjoyed hot.
14) Optional: Add crumbled bacon bits on top for an added boost of flavor and crunch!
Over to You
What’s your version of Mac & Cheese? Share and inspire us!