This curry is excellent with green salads! The umami flavors really do seep through the curry and give you a wave of different delicious flavors. Eat this curry with rice for a great lunch or dinner meal!
1½ lb boneless pork shoulder
5 medium potatoes (Russet or baking potato)
4-5 medium carrots
2 medium-large onions
1 cup red wine
½ cup (instant) coffee
4-5 squares dark chocolate (about 2 ounces)
2 tbsp (Thai red) curry paste
1 tbsp (Shiro) miso paste
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1) Cut pork shoulder into large (about 1- 1½ inch) chunks; place into bottom of Aroma Professional Rice Cooker (8-cup) with Slow Cooker function
2) Break up chocolate squares and place among pork
3) Cut potatoes, carrots, and onions into similar large chunks; place on top of pork
4) Combine , coffee, curry paste, miso paste, salt, and ground pepper; the paste will not dissolve, and small bits of paste in the liquid is fine.
5) Pour combined liquid over all ingredients in Cooker
6) Set Cooker to slow cook for 3-4 hours (depending on temperature of ingredients at start)
7) When cooking is done, stir to coat all ingredients with liquid
8) Enjoy with white or brown rice or warmed pita bread, naan, or poppadoms!
Advance user tips:
1) The amount of liquid can be reduced by using instant coffee powder to reduce volume of added liquid. For example, coffee powder can be added along with 2 ounces of water instead of 4 ounces (½ cup).
2) Curry flavor is adjustable by amount of curry paste to increase or decrease spiciness. Using curry powder instead is also possible.
3) Miso flavor can be adjusted by the amount and type of miso used (from mild to strong): white Miso (Shiro Miso), yellow Miso (Shinshu Miso), or red Miso (Aka Miso).
4) Try recipe with different red wine varieties.
5) The recipe may be used with an Aroma Pressure Cooker to reduce cooking time to 35-40 minutes.
Over to You
What’s your version of Pork with Wine Curry? Share and inspire us:)