For many Asians, steamed egg cooked by Mom is the ultimate comfort food. If Mom is on your mind, or you want a warm ‘pick-me-up’ that is simple and fulfilling, use this Mi Aroma Rice Cooker recipe!
Ingredients for (basic) egg mixture
8-oz Pyrex bowl or small & tall ramekin (a Pyrex storage dish 4 inches across and about 2 inches high works well)
1 large or extra-large egg
Chicken stock (broth) or vegetable stock
½ tsp rice wine (optional)
½ cup of rice (cooked in mi Aroma)
1) Have all ingredients at room temperature.
2) Rinse rice, place into Mi Aroma Rice Cooker with water to 0.5 cup mark (slightly more for softer rice).
3) Beat egg in small bowl/ramekin (volume of large egg is about 1½ oz); add two volumes (about 3 oz) of chicken or vegetable stock.
4) Add rice wine and mix thoroughly.
5) Carefully center bowl/ramekin containing egg mixture inside rice cooker inner pot on top of rice; water will rise up the outside of the bowl, that’s ok.
6) Press ‘white rice’ button on digital Mi Aroma Rice Cooker.
7) When cooking is completed, CAREFULLY remove cover (hot steam can cause burns) and remove inner pot with potholders.
8) Carefully slide rubber spatula under rice on one side of inner pot while tilting it to lift and slide rice and bowl of steamed egg onto plate; separate rice from bowl.
9) Enjoy the warm eggs and rice!
Pro cooking tips:
1) For a smoother surface on the steamed egg, prepare egg mixture in separate bowl and pour into the bowl/ramekin through a strainer OR pass the flame of a utility butane fire starter to quickly heat and pop bubbles on surface of egg mixture.
2) Optional garnish/toppings on steamed egg include finely chopped green onions, chives, parsley, basil or cilantro. A few drops of sesame oil, a dash of soy sauce, or shredded deli ham are also great.
3) Optional toppings found in Chinese grocery stores: dried shredded pork (‘pork sung’), and dried shredded fish (‘fish sung’).
4) Optional additions in the egg mixture include most omelet items, like broccoli, green onions, mushrooms, red bell peppers, chives, and spinach. Just chop or slice to appropriately small or thin pieces for the bowl/ramekin. Finely chopped (or shaved with peeler) carrots are another option.
5) Optional addition found in Chinese grocery stores: shredded dried scallops (after soaking in water to soften).
6) Options for meat lovers: (a) Add a fully cooked meatball (such as completely thawed, previously frozen meatball) to the egg mixture before cooking. The meatball can also be chopped up and added to egg mixture. (b) Add browned ground beef to the egg mixture.
7) Try adding steaming larger pieces of vegetables on surface of egg mixture. After pressing ‘white rice’ button, set timer for 15 minutes. When time has passed, CAREFULLY remove cover (hot steam can cause burns) and place vegetables on surface of partially cooked egg mixture.
Replace cover and allow cooking to complete. Optional vegetables include sliced bell pepper and cauliflower or broccoli florets.
Over to You
What’s your version of Steamed Egg Over Rice? Share and inspire us:)