The Chinese have a ginger and scallions (green onions) sauce that is so good some people use it with cooked rice and need nothing else. So imagine the sauce with some delicious chicken Chinese style!
2 chicken wings (cut up into sections)
2-3 inches of ginger about 1 inch in diameter (sliced about 1/8 inch thick)
1 stalk of scallions (cut into about 3-4 inch long pieces)
2-3 red onion slices
½ tbsp Shaoxing wine (cooking rice wine from Asian market)
½ tbsp plum rice wine or rose rice wine (Mei Kuei Lu Chiew) or vermouth
Extra ginger, scallions, cooking oil and salt
Mi Aroma Rice Cooker
1) Prepare chicken wing pieces by dusting with salt and ginger powder. If possible, let pieces sit for 15-30 minutes.
2) Place ginger slices scallions and onion on bottom of inner pot in Mi Aroma Rice Cooker.
3) Add rice wines and place chicken pieces on top of vegetables (ginger and green onions from step 2).
4) Close Mi Aroma Rice Cooker and select “white rice” function.
5) While chicken is cooking, prepare ginger and scallions sauce with extra materials. Take about 1 ounce of ginger (about 2 inches long and about 1 inch in diameter) and remove skin. Grate it (or finely mince in food processor but not pureed). Finely chop scallions and combine with ginger; generously add salt to mixture (about ¼ to ½ tsp) and mix well. You can taste test to see if it is starting to get too salty, then stop adding salt. Heat about 3-4 Tbsp cooking oil in a frying pan until it just starts to smoke, then pour oil on mixture (be careful of the oil splattering!)
6) After cooking function is complete, carefully remove cover (watch out for hot steam!)
7) Remove chicken and serve with rice and ginger and scallions sauce.
Over To You
What’s your version of Chicken with Ginger & Scallions? Share and inspire us!