Need a quick appetizer for you and your friends? These are meatless and bite sized poppers that are colorful, yummy, and made in a jiffy!
2 dozen small mini bell peppers of various colors (or 10-15 larger mini bell peppers)
1 cup cooked quinoa* (leftover quinoa works great)
1 large egg, beaten
2 Tbsp finely chopped red/yellow/orange bell peppers
1 Tbsp finely chopped green bell peppers (optional)
1 Tbsp finely chopped green onions (or optionally chives)
2 Tbsp panko or similar type breadcrumbs
3 Tbsp cooking oil; olive oil recommended
1 Tsp salt
1 Tsp fresh ground pepper
Toppings of choice, such as Sriracha sauce, ranch dressing, Worchestershire sauce, grated Parmesan cheese, or shredded cheese (including Habanero cheese).
Appliance used: Aroma Grillet or Doveware casserole
1) Wash and cut mini bell peppers at an angle that removes the stem and about 1/3 of the pepper. Remove seeds from the larger portion and place aside for stuffing with quinoa filling.
2) Remove stem and seeds from the 1/3 portion that was cut off. Finely chop the pepper portion for use in filling.
3) Place quinoa in mixing bowl. Add chopped bell peppers, chopped green onions, panko, salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
4) Add beaten egg to combination and quickly mix to spread egg throughout mixture.
5) Stuff mixture into mini bell peppers that were set aside. A small plastic spoon is recommended to fill the mini peppers completely. The filling should be flattened on top to simplify cooking and addition of toppings.
6) Option A: Place oil in Aroma Grillet and adjust to 325F
7) When temperature is reached, place filled mini peppers, quinoa filling side down, into the Aroma Grillet and pan fry for about 2-3 minutes. Check the quinoa side of the peppers for a deep golden or light brown color, at which time the peppers should be flipped. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. You can check the bottoms of the peppers to see if they are grilled properly.
8) Remove from Aroma Grillet when done and place quinoa side up. Quickly top with softened shredded cheese if desired to let the cheese melt slightly. Enjoy!
OPTION B: (Using the Doveware)
1) Option B: Preheat oven to 350F
2) Place filled mini peppers, quinoa filling side up, into an Aroma Doveware Casserole Dish. Place dish with cover off into oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa side is a deep golden color.
3) Optionally add shredded cheese and continuing baking until it is melted.
4) Remove from oven and Enjoy!
* Visit Aroma Housewares for a quick quinoa prep recipe:
Over To You
What’s your version of Quinoa Pepper Poppers? Comment below and inspire us 🙂