I enjoy barbeque and summer grilling as much as anybody. But sometimes, I want something lighter than what the butcher shop offers. So here are some flavorful BBQ sliders to tantalize your taste buds like mini sloppy joe sandwiches. And don’t forget to share them with your friends!
Ingredients (for spaghetti squash and bread)
1 spaghetti squash (up to about 7 inches long)
Water (for steaming in rice cooker)
Bread roll of choice (optionally dinner rolls or Hawaiian sweet rolls)
Ingredients (for sauce, or use your favorite BBQ sauce instead!):
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
½ Tsp salt
½ Tsp fresh ground pepper
1 Tsp paprika (optionally smoked)
1 Tbsp brown sugar (optionally molasses)
6 Tbsp (3 oz) tomato paste (optionally ketchup)
1 Tbsp vinegar (optionally cider vinegar)
2 Tsp Worcestershire sauce
Serves 3-4 with 12+ sliders (dinner roll size)
1) Rinse/wash outer surface of spaghetti squash. Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Brush each half with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper.
2) Place ½ cup water in Aroma Professional Rice Cooker; put half of squash in, cut side up. Select “steam” function for 25 minutes. ALTERNATIVE: place the two halves of squash, cut side down, in Grillet; cover and set temperature to 350 o F for 50 minutes. Test with sharp knife, which should easily go through flesh to the squash skin (and some flesh already separates from the skin).
3) Remove squash to plate and allow it to cool enough to be held by hand.
4) While squash is cooling, prepare sauce in hot skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil by adding chopped onion and garlic. Cook with medium to medium high heat until onions are brown. Add salt, pepper, and paprika and continue to cook until onions start drying out (about 1-2 minutes). Add brown sugar and continue to cook an additional 1-2 minutes to carmelize sugar. Add tomato paste and vinegar and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes before adding steak sauce. Cook until sauce is thickened and remove from heat.
5) Use a fork to shred the bright golden yellow flesh from inside the squash before discarding the squash skin.
6) Add shredded squash to skillet and stir with sauce to coat all squash with sauce. Sandwich into optionally toasted rolls.
7) Top with cheese, basil, cilantro, green onions, onion slice, coleslaw or shredded cabbage, (and your favorite topping)!
Over To You
What’s your version of veggie sliders? Share and inspire us 🙂