Put down that box! You will never reach for that dusty-orange-cheese-powder-based-boxed mac and cheese AGAIN once you try this recipe. It is so easy and SO delicious. Making home made macaroni and cheese can seem like a time consuming and daunting task. Let me tell you though, this is so easy you don’t even need a separate pot to boil the water or a strainer to drain the pasta. Yup… this is a magical ONE POT MEAL. All made in your rice cooker in under half an hour. Also as an extra tip, while you could settle for some regular old garlic powder, I HIGHLY recommend using some roasted garlic powder if you can find it.
2 cups low fat milk
2 cups heavy cream
3 large garlic cloves, minced
8 ounces cellentani or other hollow pasta
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon roasted garlic powder
½ teaspoon mustard powder
salt & pepper
fresh parsley, for garnish
HSN 20-Cup Multicooker (item #605912) or other 20-cup Digital Multicooker; adjust the ingredient amounts for smaller cookers
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1. Add the milk, heavy cream, and garlic cloves to the inner pot of the multicooker.
2. Plug in your cooker and press the START button to turn it on. Press STEAM and then (+) to set for 30 minutes. Press START, and the cooking indicator light will illuminate; the digital display will show a chasing pattern to show it is set. Close the lid
3. Heat until it reaches a boil, about 7 minutes. Open the lid and stir with a long-handled wooden or silicone spoon.
4. Keeping the lid open, simmer for 3 minutes until the garlic softens and the flavor infuses into the milk, making sure to stir it now and then with your long-handled wooden or silicone spoon.
5. Add the pasta, stir, then close the lid.
6. Watch the pasta closely through the clear-view lid. Once the liquid reaches a boil again, open the lid and stir. Leave the lid open and cook 10-12 minutes until the pasta is done, stirring with the long-handled wooden or silicone spoon every now and then so the noodles do not stick together.
7. Once the noodles are cooked, press the START button and then press KEEP WARM. Press START again.
8. Add the butter, Parmesan, mozzarella, garlic powder, and mustard powder; season with salt and pepper to your liking.
9. Stir until all of the cheese is melted. If needed, let it sit on KEEP WARM for a few more minutes to thicken.
10. Serve with a garnish of chopped parsley.