I am all about super easy but super delicious meals, aren’t you? This cilantro and lime juice flavored rice with black beans and chili-spiced shrimp is a home run in both of these categories. The only active cook time is for the shrimp, so about 5 minutes. The rest is all left to the cooker then mixing a few things in. What’s so nice about this recipe is really how basic all of the ingredients are so you KNOW that it’s good for you. This dish would also be great piled into some soft taco tortillas, made into burritos, or over a bed of romaine lettuce with some salsa on top. Heck, you can even make it into some stuffed peppers. Just remember to keep it simple and keep it fresh.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
½ tablespoon chili powder
salt and pepper, to taste
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup white rice, uncooked (standard U.S. measuring cup)
juice from 2 limes
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 of a bunch)
HSN 20-Cup Multicooker (item #605912) or other 20-cup Digital Multicooker with Sauté-then-Simmer STS®; adjust the ingredient amounts for smaller cookers
Prep Time: 5-20 minutes (depending on if you bought pre-peeled shrimp)
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1. Plug in your cooker and press the START button to turn it on. Press the Sauté-then-Simmer STS® button. Press START, and the cooking indicator light will illuminate; the digital display will show a chasing pattern to show it is set. Close the lid, allowing it to heat up.
2. If you need to peel your shrimp or remove the tails, now would be a good time to do it! Once the cooker has been heating for 5 minutes, add the shrimp, chili powder, and a little bit of salt and pepper.
3. With the lid open, cook while stirring with a long-handled wooden or silicone spoon, making sure all sides of the shrimp get color, for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the minced garlic and keep cooking with the lid open and stirring an additional 1-2 minutes until the garlic is aromatic and the shrimp are pink and no longer translucent.
5. Press START to cancel Sauté-then-Simmer STS®
6. Carefully scoop out the shrimp with your long-handled spoon and set it aside in a bowl.
7. Without rinsing or wiping the inner pot, add the rice and broth. Close the lid.
8. Press RICE, then press START. The cooking indicator light will illuminate and the digital display will show a chasing pattern, showing that it is set.
9. Once it is done, the cooker will automatically switch to KEEP WARM. Keep the cooker at this setting, open the lid and mix in the lime juice, black beans, and cilantro.
10. Finally mix the shrimp back in and stir a few times, just enough to reheat it.
11. Serve in bowls with extra lime juice and cilantro.