Hello, hello everyone! I hope you had a great weekend and a good start to the week.
I had a pretty uneventful weekend… Did some errands and sat sick on the couch all day Sunday. Do you ever get to the point of being sick where it just becomes the new normal and you wonder what it’s like to just feel healthy again? I’m at that point… I would do just about anything to not feel sick anymore. I’ve been chugging green tea like it’s my job, used the Neti Pot a few times, heck I even ordered a facial steamer for one hour delivery from Amazon Prime to try to clear my sinuses out. Finally I decided to give in and see a doctor, so now I’m on antibiotics for a sinus and ear infection for the next two weeks. Woof. Now I’m just waiting for those little babies to kick in and make me better.
So, needless to say that being sick kind of ruined my weekend. The one plan we had was to go to this beautiful seafood restaurant right on the water that has the best lobster mac-and-cheese I’ve been able to find in SoCal. Well we got there, found out the wait was 45 minutes and promptly drove home, stopping to get a bottle of wine, and then made a night of hanging in.
“But what did you eat?!” you might be asking. Well, don’t worry! We were fine. I whipped up this cheese dip and pretzel ring with some stuff from my fridge and it was the perfect snack to go with a glass of wine and watching Lord of the Rings. The boyfriend loved it and even went so far as to compliment it by saying “dang, well that sure doesn’t suck!”. Can’t say I’m surprised, though. I mean can you really go wrong with melted cheese and pretzels?
1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature or microwaved for 1 minute
1 tablespoon mustard powder
2 tablespoons dried chives
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup sour cream
salt & pepper, to taste
3 cups water
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 can biscuit dough
1 egg, beaten for eggwash
coarse salt, for sprinkling
medium sized pot
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1. Set your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and allow it to preheat.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the shredded cheddar, mozzarella, cream cheese, mustard powder, chives, garlic powder, onion powder, sour cream, and salt & pepper until well combined. Set aside.
3. In the medium sized pot, bring the water and baking soda to a boil then reduce it to a simmer.
4. While the water is reaching a boil, cut each biscuit in half and roll into a ball.
5. Drop them into the simmering water, a few at a time.
6. Let cook for about a minute, then remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the Tagine bottom, forming a ring along the edge.
7. Brush the biscuits with egg wash and sprinkle with the course salt.
8. Transfer the cheese mixture to the center of the biscuits, spreading and smoothing the top.
9. Bake for 33-35 minutes until the biscuit pretzels are golden and the dip is warmed through.
10. Let cool for about 20 minutes, then serve.