You know what’s better than parfait? An autumn themed parfait with yogurt that you made yourself. I know that I have premade caramel and granola in this recipe which might negate the healthy aspect of making the yogurt yourself, but I was just trying to make a 9 hour recipe a little easier for you all. Not that it’s hard, basically just set and forget. But it’s quite a while that you have to let it sit.
The great thing about homemade yogurt is that you can make it sugar free if you like, any flavor, just exactly what you want. And if you want to make some homemade caramel sauce or granola to go with it, well we fully support that.
8 cups whole milk
4 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 apple, peeled and sliced
2 pears, peeled and sliced
1½ tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup premade or store-bought caramel sauce
2 cups premade or store-bought vanilla granola
HSN 20-Cup Multicooker (item #605912) or other 20-cup Digital Multicooker with Yogurt and Sauté-then-Simmer STS® functions; adjust the ingredient amounts for smaller cookers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 9 hours
1. Start by making the yogurt according to the instructions in the manual:
- a) Add the milk to the inner pot and close the lid.
- b) Plug in your cooker and press the START button to turn it on. Press the Sauté-then-Simmer STS® button, then press START. The cooking indicator light will illuminate and a chasing pattern will display to show it is set.
- c) Cook, while opening the lid to stir every 5 minutes with a long-handled wooden or heat safe spoon until it reaches 180° Fahrenheit, about 20 minutes total.
- d) Turn the cooker off. Use oven mitts to remove the inner pot and place on a heat safe surface; allow to cool 30 minutes.
- e) Take ½ cup of the milk and mix it in a separate bowl with the yogurt.
- f) Stir yogurt mixture back into the milk; return the inner pot to the cooker.
- g) Press the START button to turn the cooker on. Press YOGURT and set for 8 hours, then press START. The cooking indicator light will illuminate and a chasing pattern will display to show it is set.
- h) When done, stir thoroughly, scoop yogurt out of cooker and set aside in the fridge.
2. Wash out the inner pot, dry thoroughly, and return to the cooker.
3. Again, set the cooker for Sauté-then-Simmer STS®. Add the butter and let it melt briefly.
4. Once melted, add the apples, pears, and cinnamon to the cooker. Cook with the lid open while stirring often with a long-handled wooden or heat safe spoon.
5. Continue cooking until the fruit is soft, about 10-15 minutes.6. Once done, turn off the cooker, scoop out the fruit to a separate bowl and let cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes.
7. Once cool, assemble the parfaits by layering (amounts to your liking): yogurt, caramel sauce, granola, pear filling, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Repeat until the bowls, glasses, or jars are full.