Guess what today is. Any guesses?
It’s my birthday! Yep, I made it another year around the sun. I thought I would be sweating a little about turning 26, I mean I feel I’m now REALLY at that point where I have to be an actual adult. Suddenly I’m being asked when I plan to buy a house and have kids, meanwhile I’m just trying to figure out the best way to get quarters for laundry (the answer is usually going to an arcade bar with a change machine, because then you can grab a quick drink while you’re there… incase you were wondering). But surprisingly I’m pretty okay with it. I feel like it’s a good age where I’m still young enough for it to be acceptable to make mistakes and learn, but those adult goals like maybe a condo before a house are actually in reach.
I’ve learned quite a few things in my 26 years of life. More serious life lessons, like that there are things in life you can’t control and you have to accept that, but what you can control is the way you think about things. Or that you will much more regret not doing things than doing them the wrong way. But also simpler things, like it’s never too early to decorate for Christmas if it makes your soul happy, or that macaroni and cheese is always better if it isn’t vegan and gluten-free.
I’ve also learned that cupcakes are always a good idea. Always. Especially when apple cider is in season and you can sneak some into the recipe.
I have ALSO learned that you can actually steam cupcakes in a rice cooker. Ha! Did you know?! Fascinating, right?! It’s super easy and actually much faster. Just make sure you use silicone muffin cups so that they hold their shape and don’t ooze while cooking!
⅓ cup sugar
¼ cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ cup apple cider
½ + ⅓ cup flour
½ cup butter, softened
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
20-cup Digital Multicooker
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1. Start making the cupcake batter by creaming together the sugar and butter in a large bowl with a hand or stand mixer.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.
3. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Add the apple cider and dry ingredients, alternating between the two, to the butter mixture. Add slowly until all are fully incorporated.
5. Fill 8 silicone muffin cups with the batter,about ⅔ of the way. Arrange them in the steam tray.
6. Fill the inner pot of the cooker with about 1 cup of water; place the steam tray on top.
7. Close the lid and STEAM for 10 minutes until a toothpick can be easily inserted to a cupcake and comes out clean. Make sure you are careful of escaping steam any time you open the cooker.
8. When the cupcakes are done, turn off the cooker and carefully remove the cupcakes. Set aside to cool completely before frosting.
9. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting by whipping together the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla with a mixer until light and fluffy.
10. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until incorporated.
11. Add the heavy cream until you reach desired consistency (more for thinner frosting).
12. Frost the cupcakes once they are fully cool, then enjoy!
Recipe inspiration from Wishes and Dishes