Come on, y’all. I KNOW you know by now that I love pasta and easy make-ahead meals.
This grilled chicken caesar macaroni is no exception. Think a chicken caesar salad, but instead of salad it’s pasta! That means it’ll keep you full for hours and the kids will love it.
Vegetarian? Omit the chicken and have a tasty caesar macaroni and cheese!
I am not kidding with how good this is; I actually had to put a sign saying “DO NOT EAT” on this so no snooping fingers would pick before I could take pictures!
If you’re planning to make this meal ahead of time for later in the week, refrigerate after transfering into the casserole dish for a few days. When you’re ready to eat, bake covered at 425℉ for 20 minutes, then uncover and cook 10 minutes until golden. Perfectly reheated caesar mac!
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste
16 ounces penne pasta
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon anchovy paste
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups milk
1½ cups Pecorino cheese, shredded
1. Preheat your oven to 425℉.
2. Set the Grillet™ to 375℉. Place the lid on and let it heat.
3. Coat the chicken in the olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill for about 12 minutes, flipping occasionally and then set aside when done.
4. Fill the multicooker halfway ¾ full with water. Set the lid on and set the cooker for STEAM with a time 30 minutes.
5. Once the time starts counting down, the water has reached a boil. Carefully open the lid to avoid burns from steam. Add the pasta and cook with the lid open until al dente, or 1 minute less than package instructions.
6. When the pasta is done, turn off the cooker, and using oven mitts remove the inner pot. Drain the pasta and set aside.
7. Return the inner pot to the cooker. Set to Sauté-then-Simmer STS® and let heat briefly with the lid on.
8. Add the butter and let melt with the lid off. When melted, spoon out half and toss with the Panko to moisten. Add half of the cheese to the Panko, and set aside.
9. To the remaining melted butter in the cooker, add the garlic, anchovy paste, lots of pepper, and some salt. Stir for about 2 minutes while cooking.
10. Whisk in the flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes to cook out the flour taste.
11. Whisk in the vegetable stock, milk, and Worcestershire sauce. Make sure to stir out all the clumps of flour.
12. Cook for a few minutes to thicken. When it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, stir in the remaining half of the Pecorino and the pasta.
13. Halve the chicken breasts lengthwise, then thinly slice and combine with the pasta and sauce.
14. Transfer to the casserole dish and top with bread crumb mixture.
15. Bake for 15 minutes, then broil an additional 5 until the top is golden brown.
Recipe inspiration from Food Network