Cute little cauliflower, changing into a cheesy low-carb craving. Could you be a con for ciabatta? Or pretending to be pumpernickel? A scam for sourdough? Faking focaccia? Impersonating an Italian loaf? Wishing you were whole wheat, dreaming of being a Danish? Really trying to be rye? Begging to be a baguette? Needing to be naan? Praying to be pita? Screaming to be a scone? Truly yearning to be toast?
You aren’t really fooling us, you funny little fellow. But that doesn’t mean you aren’t victorious, you vivacious vegetable. You have transformed into a tasty treat for toddlers and teens and everyone in between.
Dream on, cauliflower. Dream on.
1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 cup cheddar jack cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste
DoveWare Casserole Dish
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
1. Preheat your oven to 450℉.
2. Put the cauliflower florets into a food processor. Pulse until it is very finely chopped, turning the food processor off and unsticking big pieces with a spoon if necessary.
3. Once the cauliflower is processed to roughly the texture of rice, transfer it into a large microwave-safe bowl.
4. Microwave it for 10 minutes. Remove from the microwave and set aside to cool. BE CAREFUL when removing, as the bowl will be very hot.
5. Once the cauliflower is completely cool (after about 20 minutes), transfer it to a bowl lined with a kitchen towel you don’t mind getting dirty.
6. Bring the corners of the towel together and squeeze as much liquid out as you can. Really get your frustrations out on this cauliflower! Press your hands in different areas to really get as much of the liquid out as you can.
7. Transfer the strained cauliflower to a large bowl. Use a fork to mix in the egg, Italian seasoning, half of the cheese, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix it all together until fully incorporated.
8. Line your DoveWare casserole dish with parchment paper so the edges of the paper come up the side of the dish, making it easy to lift the breadsticks out when they are done.
9. Put the cauliflower mixture into the lined casserole dish and smooth it to an even layer with a flat top.
10. Bake for 30 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
11. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Set the oven for broil and return the cauliflower breadsticks.
12. Bake an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
13. Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Remove from the casserole dish by lifting out the parchment paper.
14. While on a cutting board, cut the sheet of cauliflower mixture into 16 breadsticks.
15. Let finish cooling until at a good handling temperature. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Recipe inspiration from The Foodie Physician.