What do you do when you’re craving a homemade chicken pot pie, but not willing to make the dough? Look no further than this biscuit topped dinner. Think of it as almost-completely homemade. You’re making the filling from scratch, especially if you pre-cook the chicken breast yourself. It’s just the biscuit dough that you aren’t making!
This recipe was a hit in the office, and I particularly love that it’s a one pot meal! Generally you need a separate pot for the filling, then your casserole dish or pie dish for finishing it off in the oven. But the beauty of the DoveWare tagine is it works amazingly both on the stove top and in the oven. Meaning less clean up and easier cooking.
Give this recipe a try for your next weeknight dinner!
½ cup butter
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 cup frozen peas
1 can buttermilk biscuit dough (8 biscuits)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1. Preheat your oven to 375℉.
2. Put the tagine over a burner set to medium-high heat. Add the butter and melt.
3. Once the butter is melted, add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, and salt & pepper to taste. Cook while stirring frequently until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
4. Stir in the flour and cook while stirring frequently until it start to brown, about 2 minutes.
5. Gradually add in the broth and then the milk, cooking and stirring 3-5 minutes after it is all added until thick and bubbly.
6. Stir in the chicken and peas until fully incorporated. Use oven mitts to remove the tagine from heat and to a heat-safe surface; set aside.
7. Separate the biscuit dough into the 8 biscuits. Cut each biscuit into fourths.
8. Top the chicken mixture with the biscuit pieces.
9. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the biscuits are golden brown and cooked through all the way.
10. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe inspiration from Pillsbury