For the past two weeks or so, we’ve been spoiled here in San Diego with some beautiful weather.
I know what you’re thinking, “it’s San Diego it’s always nice weather there.” But we had a pretty “harsh” winter.
Now I’m from New England, grew up there and lived there until two years ago. So, I know what an actual harsh winter is. BUT for Southern California, this really was a rough one. Temperatures in the low 40s at night, and we’ve already received about 150% normal rainfall for the entire year just in a few months! Very, VERY unusual for San Diego.
The problem is, things here just aren’t built for that kind of cold and rainfall. Parts of the roads literally washed away, cars here don’t have properly gripping tires for wet roads or good windshield wipers. Leaky ceilings, flooding roads, and poorly insulated houses means inside is just as cold as outside. One time, I even went to buy a space heater because the temperature was dipping close to freezing, and I really didn’t want to turn the heat on for 3 days. I mean really, being a stubborn New Englander no part of me wanted to pay a heating bill for Southern California. Well, I went to 5 different stores and every single one of them was sold out of space heaters. People were acting like it was the end of the world!
We dealt with that cold, wet winter and finally have started to get some nice weather. 75 and sunny; typical San Diego weather.
But, now we are back to chilly and rain. So what’s better for being depressed about rain when you want some warm sunshine than soup? And better than some boring canned stuff, give this broccoli cheddar soup a try, snuggle up with a bowl and wait out the rain.
5 tablespoons butter
½ yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped into small pieces
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
¼ cup flour
2 cups milk
2 cups vegetable stock
1½ cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets
2½ cups sharp cheddar, shredded
salt and pepper, to taste
20-cup Digital Multicooker with Sauté-Then-Simmer STS® (reduce the ingredients for smaller cookers)
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1. Set your multicooker for Sauté-Then-Simmer STS®. Close the lid and let it heat briefly.
2. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to the inner pot and let it melt. Once melted, add the onion, carrots, and celery.
3. Cook for about 7 minutes until soft while stirring frequently with a long-handled wooden or heat safe spoon.
4. Add in the rest of the butter and the flour. Stir constantly to melt the butter and coat all of the vegetables with the flour.
5. Continue to stir and cook the flour, about 4 minutes. It should be starting to turn slightly brown.
6. Gradually pour in the milk while stirring, then the vegetable stock. Stir well to combine.
7. Allow the soup to come to a simmer for 30 minutes. Note that the automatic turn-off might switch your cooker from Sauté-Then-Simmer STS® to Keep Warm. If this happens, simply reset the cooker for STS®.
8. Add in the chopped broccoli florets. Stir well and let cook another 10 minutes until the broccoli is cooked.
9. Switch the cooker to Keep Warm. Stir in the cheese until melted and fully incorporated.
10. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then serve.
TIP: This soup is PERFECT for a bread bowl.
Recipe inspiration from All Recipes.