How many times have you gone to a restaurant and ordered a chocolate lava cake for dessert, just to think “wow, I wish I could have this at home.” Now you can!
As much as I love lava cakes, I really don’t like if they’re too molten on the inside. Something about potentially raw eggs or flour that freaks me out. So for this recipe, they are more almost molten cakes. More like gooey center cakes. BUT if full on liquid middle is what you’re looking for, simply reduce the cooking time of these babies by 1 minute.
The best part about these little personal-sized cakes is how fast they cook. 15 minutes and you’ve got yourself a homemade cake!
1 stick butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons flour
3-4 roughly 8-ounce glass bowls
nonstick cooking spray
20-cup Digital Pressure Cooker
3-4 personal cakes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1. Place the butter and chocolate chips in a large bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and stir with a fork or spatula until well combined.
2. Mix in the powdered sugar until smooth, making sure to break up any big clumps.
3. Add in the eggs and egg yolk and mix until well combined.
4. Mix in the vanilla and flour and again stir until well combined.
5. Spray each of the glass bowls with the nonstick cooking spray.
6. Fill as many as you can with the batter about ⅔ of the way to the top.
7. Pour 1 cup of water into the inner pot of the pressure cooker, then place in the steam rack.
8. Place one of the bowls onto the steam rack; close the lid and make sure the pressure valve is set for Sealing.
9. Set the cooker to the Cake function.
10. Let cook for 10 minutes, then turn the cooker off. Do a quick release by turning the pressure valve to Venting. Be careful of the steam.
11. When the lid unlocks, open it and remove the cake carefully using oven mitts. Set aside to cool slightly.
12. Repeat cooking the remaining cakes.
13. After they’ve cooled about 5-10 minutes each, place the cooked cakes upside down on a plate. Jiggle them a little to release them from the bowls.
14. Eat as is or top with ice cream!
Recipe inspiration from Adventures of a Nurse