Hello everyone! Happy Thursday. Just one more full day until the weekend, and let me tell you I am ready for it. Not sure why this week has felt so long, but it has. The weather here in San Diego has also gone from cloudy and on the chilly side to hot and sunny. And I mean HOT. Monday and Tuesday it was in the mid 90s, which normally I wouldn’t complain about especially with the weather we’ve been having. But it does make it a little difficult to sleep at night when your apartment is still over 80 degrees. Maybe that’s why the week has seemed long; I’m tired from not sleeping well because of the heat.
Whether that’s it or not, the long feeling week and trouble keeping my eyes open has be begging for a super easy recipe to make. Normally I’d make a melt like this for breakfast or a snack, but my laziness level this week makes me feel this recipe would be perfect for any meal. Heck, I’d even make these ahead of time and reheat them in the toaster oven at this point.
These melts might seem simple, and they are, but they are absolutely delicious. The secret is the mayonnaise and chili powder. Sure, you could try to be healthy and skip on the mayo, or boring and miss out on the chili powder. But that duo really takes these melts from basic to spectacular.
6 slices bread of your choice
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
chili powder, to taste
2 roma tomatoes, sliced
2 avocados, sliced
12 slices cheese of your choice
DoveWare Casserole Dish
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
1. Preheat your oven to broil.
2. Spread about ½ tablespoon of mayonnaise onto one side of each slice of bread.
3. Sprinkle with a pinch of chili powder, to your liking.
4. Layer the bread with the tomato and avocado slices.
5. Top with two pieces of cheese, then place into the casserole dish. Work in batches if you need to.
6. Broil 2-4 minutes until the bread is toasted and cheese is bubbly.
7. Remove from oven and serve immediately, topped with freshly cracked black pepper if desired.
Recipe inspiration from Tastes Better From Scratch