Today I am bringing back a classic that everyone loves: chicken parmesan.
Otherwise lovingly known as chicken parm.
However, this is a new and healthier take on it. Yes, it’s still covered in cheese BUT we are passing on the oil and instead of deep frying, air frying. These chicken fillets come out just as crispy and tasty and moist as if you fried them in oil in a pan.
For the chicken::
3 chicken breasts, halved horizontally to make 6 fillets
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
For the sauce::
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
14 ounces canned tomato sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon sugar
**if you don’t want to make sauce, use 16 ounces of premade marinara sauce
For the topping::
about 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced into 12 slices
⅓ cup parmesan cheese, grated
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Aroma Air Fryer
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
1. In a large shallow dish (such as a casserole dish), whisk together the eggs, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper.
2. Add the chicken to the egg mixture and turn over a few times to evenly coat each fillet with the mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge while you make the sauce, or for at least 15 minutes if you’re using premade sauce.
3. Add the oil to the cooking pan of the air fryer. Close the lid, set the cooker to HIGH and the timer for 30.
4. Let the oil heat for 5 minutes, then add the chopped onion.
5. Cook for about 10 minutes until translucent while opening the lid to stir every few minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute until fragrant.
6. Add in the tomato sauce, salt and pepper, Italian seasoning, and sugar. Stir well.
7. Close the lid and switch the cooker to MED. Allow the sauce to cook until the timer goes off, opening now and then to stir.
8. When the timer goes off, scoop the sauce out of the pan and into a bowl; set aside.
9. Remove the cooking pan using the cool touch handles. Rinse with cold water then dry thoroughly and return to the air fryer.
10. From the chicken ingredient list, mix together the two types of bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large shallow bowl or pie dish. A plate will also work but might get a bit messier.
11. Dip each of the chicken fillets into the breadcrumb mixture fully coating. Transfer to a plate and set aside until all the fillets are breaded.
12. Place 3 of the chicken fillets into the air fryer; set the remaining 3 aside in the fridge.
13. Make sure the air fryer is set to MED. Close the lid and set the timer for 12 minutes.
14. When the timer goes off, flip over the pieces of chicken.
15. Top each piece with a good serving of sauce, two slices of mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle with the parmesan and chopped parsley.
16. Close the lid and set the timer for 8 minutes.
17. When the timer goes off, remove the chicken carefully using a rubber spatula. Repeat cooking and topping the remaining 3 chicken fillets.
18. Serve hot on their own or over pasta.
Recipe inspiration from Cafe Delites