Looking for a party snack that is summery, but not salsa?
Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like almost every summer party appetizer is salsa, or guacamole, or some other cold dip. But who says you can’t have something hot just because it’s summer? Yeah, maybe a belly full of hot cream cheese isn’t exactly what you want when it’s 95℉.
But what if there’s some crab mixed in? I don’t know about you, but seafood just says SUMMER to me! So what better of a combination than cream cheese and crab to make a different summer party dip?
Think of it as a deconstructed crab rangoon.
And boy, oh boy, is it delicious.
14 ounces 2-inch wonton wrappers, halved diagonally OR a large bag of pita chips, if you don’t want to make the wonton chips
nonstick cooking spray
16 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
½ cup mayonnaise
½ cup sour cream
16 ounces lump crab meat, rinsed, picked through for shells, and pressed dry
1½ cups white cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
4 green onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes (additional 25 if making the wonton chips)
1. Preheat your oven to 350℉.
2. Place the cut wonton wrappers onto a baking sheet in a thin layer; you’ll want to do about 4 batches.
3. Spray the tops with the nonstick spray. Bake for about 5-7 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven, set aside and let cool. Repeat with the rest of the wonton wrappers.
4. After cooking the wonton chips, adjust the oven temperature to 425℉. Lightly coat the dish of the tagine with the nonstick cooking spray.
5. In a large bowl, mix together the cream cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, and crab meat; stir until well combined.
6. Add in 1 cup of the cheddar, the parmesan, green onions, worcestershire, soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic powder.
7. Spread the crab mixture into the taine dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheddar.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly, then broil an additional 5 minutes until golden.
9. Remove from oven, let cool briefly and serve with the wonton chips or pita chips.
Recipe inspiration from Damn Delicious